Wednesday, May 15, 2013

God & My Expectations

I sure do expect a lot from people. It is part of my personality type, so I count it as a strength. Yet, even good things can go awry when it isn't tempered with wisdom and humility. The ideals I have for myself, my husband, and children are what bonds us as a family. I strive and uphold the expectations for godliness and love. In return, our family is connected by a commitment to love and support each other with Christ as the center.

But not every ideal I have for myself and for my family is healthy. A lot of what I expect of my loved ones can easily turn into resentment and discontent, in my heart. Good expectations are that my husband will always love me and be faithful to me, that he provides for his family, and is a Godly man. I have good expectations that my house be some-what clean, and my children are loving and obedient. When I began to raise the level of my expectations to a higher ideal than I should be striving for, I become easily angered and frustrated. My disapproval towards my husband and children is evident by my lack of joy.

I lack of gratefulness and joy, because I am too busy grumbling and complaining over unfulfilled ideals I set for my loved ones. I find that if my ideals of a "perfect marriage," "perfect mom," and "perfect  kids," cause fraught and worry, I need to reevaluate my thinking. I am a dreamer and a risk taker, so often times I aim high for higher ideals. But, reality and my fantasy ideals are often miles apart.

I love how God steps in for me and takes over for me. When I surrender "my rights" to achieve my ideals;  a perfect marriage, a clean house, totally obedient children, etc., I can finally praise God and be a joy to my family. I don't need to be in control and force a perfect image on my family. I look to God, who simply wants me to love and obey. When I do, I feel free to live and love my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment