Growing up in San Diego, I often experienced a language barrier while interacting with the Spanish speaking community. It was common that I felt very disconnected, confused, and frustrated when I couldn't really talk effectively with someone. Truthfully, it was much easier to avoid conversation and relationship with people I couldn't talk too. Sadly, I find the same level of disconnect in the church. I am sure more confusion is felt by the unchurched in our community. The confusion that I am referring to is the hyper-spiritual talk, commonly known as "Christianese."
Christianese; Putting on the mask:
"Quiet-time," "growing," "I feel so blessed," "I was convicted," "I was moved to," "I am struggling with," "walk alongside me," "I was so encouraged," "I stumbled," "effective in my walk," and the list goes on...and on.
If you have been in the church for a long time, you know these words and phrases very well and you may even speak fluently in this language. (Kudos to you; you are soooo spiritual!) An outsider listening to this language is left baffled and trust me, they believe you are a total idiot! It is a bombardment of useless, noneffective words. You are coming across as obnoxious, intrusive, and judgmental as you speak Christianese into every conversation. But mostly, people feel entirely unloved and marginalized when you talk that way.
Have you ever considered that this method you choose to communicate the spiritual complexities of your faith is not working? Have you even considered that you are hiding behind a false security? You use mysteriously twisted, perfectly dropped, godly words that make you sound good (than you really are, probably). But, you are confused! You see, speaking this way puts you into a "holier-than-thou" position and puts your listener beneath you. Your poor listener has to endure, with baited-breath, your pearls of inspired wisdom. You're striving to be and look different than who you really are, which only makes you appear pretentious and phony.
Jesus told stories and parable that illustrated the Judean culture he was preaching to: Farmers, fishermen, soldiers, families, high officials, etc. That is how it is done. Speak the language of your culture you are trying to reach. Anything less than that is you own insecurity and immaturity. If you are not communicating like the culture you live in, then you will reduce the power of God's work in your life every time you slap His name over every thought or experience you have. You will ultimately hinder the opportunity for the Lost to learn about Christ.
Our goal as Christians is to live out our faith and reach the Lost. We do not to impress others with our understanding of our faith. Always communicating your life only in terms with your relationship with Jesus is only one sided to a grand Christian experience, but it isn't really living rightly. If you just took the time to understand the person you are talking to, then you would drop this whole facade. Stop trying so hard! You can’t get it wrong! Jesus lives in YOU, dear Christian, so just let His love come through.
Be real with people. Apostle Paul spoke of being "all things to all people." That will take courage and determination to speak plain English. It will require you to love deeper and throw off the old habits of your complacency. Opening up your life and being real will give you real access to the heart of other people. Take your mask off and leave it off.
One more point:
Talk to other Christians this way, too! It will be empowering to all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment