I won't even pretend. I roll my eyes at anyone who tells they love the freaking snow. I live in West Michigan, where we get what is called the "Lake Effect Snow." I still don't really understand what that is, except I know that it sucks and I hate it. Did I mention that I hate snow?
The snow globe view from inside my living room window is nice to look at, and I will admit it is fun to run around and play in it once in a while...until you get too numb, or wet, or snow get's down inside your boot, or in your coat, or in your gloves, or a snowball in your face (ok maybe that's a little fun.)
Moreover, I've got little children...sigh. They cry about every miserable thing (and I don't blame them). It is miserable to be cold and wet. The work required to get my kids outdoors is redonkulous! I have actually broken down and cried when I couldn't get a blasted boot on my 3 yr old. I even cursed at a mitten for refusing to go on nicely.
Snow and mud gets tracked into my house everyday and it drives me crazy. I have stepped on (with socks on, mind you) more muddy, melted snow puddles more times than I could count. If you have any idea what trouble I go through to organize the mess of coats, gloves, hats, and gloves, you would realize why I pop anti-anxiety pills.
Once I step outside my nice, warm home, I want to cry because everything hurts. My eyes tear up, my nose leaks. My blasted teeth hurt. I even think I feel pain in my hair. Then, the ground turns into ice and I start slipping and falling like Bambie on the frozen lake. I have twisted groin muscles and bruised my tailbone and knees. Snow can blow upward and sideways and then blind you with a clump of snow in your eyes. There is some snow that is wet and clingy. Why??? My curly hair frizzes and my lips and hands get chapped so bad they bleed. Have you ever had a crack develop on your fingertip? I have to put superglue on it, so as to stop the intense pain. Superglue...on my body, people...superglue!
Like I said, it looks pretty from inside the warmth of my cozy home, but once you are driving around, all you notice are the piles and piles of ugly dirty snow that are scraped off roads and parking lots and turned into grungy, frozen snow walls and mountains. Everything looks dead, ruined, and downright DISGUSTING. The sun rarely shines and instead of blue skies, the heavens are white and grey day after day after day. Shoveling is grueling and dumb. What a waste of time. Most people own a snow blower and the noise is beyond intrusive. Did you know there are actually people who pride themselves in the "art of shoveling." Michiganders are a bewilderment...
Speaking of driving around in that mess; the actual driving is treacherous. Tail spinning is not fun and spinning your car a full 360 degrees is a fright I don't ever want to repeat. I am surprised I haven't been in a car crash yet! Everyone eventually get's into a car wreck, or crashes into someone's living room or drives into the lake. Heck, people die all the time here!
While this has been fun venting of my hate of snow, I will humbly admit I like some things...
1) The beauty of light snow flakes slowly falling all around me.
2) Sparking lights under the snow.
3) Walking all alone on the hiking trails in the snow. The peace and serenity is like none other.
4) Playing with my family, building snow forts, and sledding.
5) A reason to drink gallons of hot-cocoa.
6) An excuse for a conversation ("talk about the weather") when I'd rather not talk to that person.
7) I enjoy the flowers in the spring. Without the snow what beauty would we have to look forward to?
8) Being appreciative and grateful for the days when the weather is more favorable.
It is OK that I still hate snow, but I am wise enough to appreciate that snow has made me stronger, resilient, and a better knitter.
For everything there is a season...
No comments:
Post a Comment