Thursday, August 22, 2013

A night at the ER

Yesterday was weird. I woke up and had what felt like a panic attack. My pulse was racing and my emotions were everywhere. I felt a strong uneasiness that I couldn't shake or ignore. I had been struggling with taking deep breaths for over a week now, so the lack of deep breathing coupled with these new symptoms prompted me to call my OB. Strangely, the advice given was to call my regular primary care DR and have him give me something (drugs) for the anxiety. I guffawed at the suggestion. I am not feeling anxiety or worry or stressed. The "panicky" feeling was not due to lifestyle issues. I knew that it was the cause of something else. I did not call my Dr, and decided to rest instead. The symptoms lasted all day and into the night. Then, around 7:30pm, I began to have stabbing pain under my left armit and the top of my chest on the same side. THIS pain was crazy intense. Everytime I took a breath, it would hurt. I let it continue on and finally had to call my OB 1 1/2hrs later. She said to go to the ER. I went it right away. My vitals were all normal. They listened to baby's heart tones: 150bpm...perfect! They took some blood, hooked me up to an EKG, and then gave me a CT scan of my chest. The CT scan was interesting. The dye being injected was the most interesting part. It felt instantly hot all over. The back of my throat felt like I just had a warm drink, too. My groin was so hot that I thought I peed on myself. So weird! I waited for an hour for the results. Totally normal. No blood clots. Heart perfect. Blood work all normal. So, the diagnosis was literally "We don't know what your problem is, so take two tylenol." Wow. Modern medicine. Such a wonder? The Dr and staff were all great. This morning, as I type this, I am feeling just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment