I got out my maternity storage bin weeks ago, since I was showing so early. I started out 35lbs heavier than my last pregnancy, so most of the clothes were too tight in the booty region. Plus, I saved only a couple of my favorites from a couple of past couple pregnancies ago (they were not that great to begin with!). So, my pickings were slim and not flattering. After wearing my only pair of comfy jean shorts (with a frayed waist preggy-strechy-band) seven days in a row, I decided to go shopping. I am a thrift store junky, but the thrift stores in this town are slim pickings for maternity so I thought maybe I needed to go shopping in a "real" store.
My husband needed to do some of his own clothes shopping, so we made a "date" out of the excursion. First we went to Target. Boy what a disappointment! The selection was small and mostly everything was made with thin polyester/nylon fabric that would cling to every bump and roll of my body! I actually believe the mirrors in the dressing room are pure evil. Because, as soon as I entered the dressing room, I saw a hideous woman glaring back at me. Right then and there, I had a silent tantrum. Everything about me is ugly right now and the Target mirrors was proof that I couldn't hide from the truth. My long, cury hair is a frizzy, straw, poofy mess and the only thing I can do is sport a bun or pull it back into a pony-tail. My face is doted with pimples, and wearing make-up is uncomfortable because my skin is so sensitive. I am normally a thin, athletic build, but right now I am officially "overweight" and it shows in my belly, thighs, and butt. Staring at my image, I was not impressed. Plus, my white shirt, which was a bit too tight, displayed a food stain I got during lunch, really put a nice touch on my whole image. Despite my pity party in the dressing room, I did manage to find a skirt I liked: so I bought two (one blue and one black). I cringed when I spent over forty dollars for TWO pieces of clothing, though!
My wonderful husband was such a great moral-support. I don't know how he puts up with my sour, pitiful, self-bashing moods? I know he sees my flaws, but he chooses to "see" the real me and tells me how beautiful I really am. All day he kept lovingly rebuking me (and teasing me, too). I snarled at him and tried to point out how wrong he was, but secretly every word he said was like balm to my soul.
We went shopping in the mall, next. He bought us both Clinique face cleaning products. My normal face cleansing routine is baby soap and witch hazel (if I remember to find the time to wash my face or feel a strong need to pamper myself). So, buying a department-store face-soap was waaay out of my league and budget. But, my husband wanted me to be treated and feel as beautiful as I am. I love this man! Normally, I can't stand my husband's spending habits, but this was a time for me to be gracious and let him spend money on me. I felt loved.
Next, we stopped by "Motherhood Maternity." I have collected a lot of their clothes from thrift stores or hand-me-downs, but I never bought more than a nursing bra from their store, and it was probably on sale and probably the least expensive one, too. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was actually wearing that bra, from probably three pregnancies ago. It has certainly seen better days! I only found one display of 100% cotton, short-sleeve shirts, and the price tag was $30! I tried on a swimsuit cover-up and was not impressed (also a heafty $30 bucks!).
My husband bought the clothes he needed at JC Penny, and then we headed to Goodwill. God knew all along how desperate and pathetic I was. He provided me with a bounty of clothes as a testimony of his care and provision of providing for my needs! The maternity section was bursting with clothes and I managed to find a good selection and enough clothes for this summer. Plus, I didn't break the bank.
No comments:
Post a Comment