This is my joyful journey of life in the White House. There is never a dull moment in my life as a wife of twenty years, a mother of seven children, a homescholling family, and a partner in ministry.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
A lesson in grace
Today while playing with my children in the mall play area, a very unpleasant thing happened. An angry mom yelled at me. She was clearly upset that my oldest daughter had her shoes on. All I could do is say, "thank you." She was already walking away from the play area and she had no further reason to stay and talk with me. She just wanted to make me feel bad, guilty, and ashamed. She probably wanted to feel good about herself by intimidating a total stranger. She was in error, but she didn't stay around to hear my side or to restore peace. Shoes are not allowed if you are playing. But, what she didn't realize is that my oldest daughter was taking care of the baby. My daughter was being a responsible young lady caring for her youngest sibling. She was not playing in the play area. And, she was not climbing on any of the play equipment. This uncomfortable encounter with this mom made me really think about my own behavior. I can be just like crazy-playland-lady. I can easily jump to conclusions and attack people without real cause. I pass judgement based on what I believe is right. Even if I was a little right, or full-on correct, I tend to leave grace out of my confrontations. The result is that for a while I feel sooo good. I feel empowered and clever. But, over time, when I replace love for law, I become self righteous. I look for more ways where I can voice my opinions over others. I see someones sin and I jump all over them. When I don't leave room for love, I don't see God. I only see me. I don't employ forgiveness and understanding. I become selfish and consequently, alone. The result of the encounter with this mom left a heavy cloud of suspicion over the entire play area. All the other parents diverted their eyes from me. Her judgement was contagious. No one felt free to be loving and kind. Evil is a disaster that pulls everyone down. Even though her anger stung and it hurt to be treated so poorly, I am grateful for this women. She made me realize how I need to change. I don't enjoy being on the receiving end of hatred. So, from this day forward, I will do something constructive. The first thing I will do is pray for this mom. The next thing is I will engage in more loving behavior and strive to be more graceful with others. As Christians we should be the bearers of love and righteousness. I was given a gift today. I pray that I may take this lesson and be the woman God has created me to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment