Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hey 5K!

I am so pumped! This Saturday, I completed my first 5K in nearly a decade. I have been working out for months and it is paying off. I am losing weight. I am stronger. I have more energy. I am happier. I basically feel better!! My goal is to run the Grand Rapids 1/2 Marathon in October. I have been following a 15 week program designed by Hal Higdon. Part of the program is to run two races, a 5K and a 10K, before the big day. Saturday was my 5K day. I'll be adding one or two more 5K's before my 10K, though. I want to be really prepared for the 1/2 Marathon.

I signed up for the Hey 5K race sponsored by the christian radio station, 88.9 Hey Radio. I loved how the organizer prayed for us before the race. I couldn't think of a better way to begin my racing again than with an organization that spreads the love of Christ. I truly felt God's presence with me! How cool is that?

 I had no idea how I would feel during the 5K race. I was fully confident I would finish, but I wasn't sure how I would run it. It turns out, I did pretty well. I came in at 29:04 (4th in my age division) and 84th place overall (out of 157 participants). I was overjoyed that I actually ran faster than 30 minutes! I would have been happy with 35 minutes. 10 years ago I was running 23 minutes for a 5K, but that will take a few more years of constant running to get to that level again. I'm very proud of my running level now. Heck, I could barely walk 20 minutes a few months ago!

My family was there to cheer me on and I can't tell you how much their support meant to me. I saw my Summer Grace jumping up and down as I came down the home stretch. I ran even faster knowing that I was making her so happy. Her joy was my joy. :) They even came up with a cheer: "Go Mommy, Go!" Very cute!!

It felt so good to get out there and compete again! I love to run and competing in races is a totally joy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment